Sleep Better, Play Better!
Did you know a good night’s sleep can be the difference between returning a serve and getting aced? People who sleep longer have faster reaction times and are better able to concentrate.
A study on collegiate basketball athletes showed those that extended their sleep had a better shot accuracy and faster reaction times. They also reported feeling better physically and mentally. (1)
This means tennis players could have greater control of their shots and return a higher percentage of shots after getting a good night’s sleep.
How can you improve your sleep routine?
- Minimise screen time before bed. Instead of scrolling through Facebook or watching TV, try reading a book or meditating.
- Go to sleep at a similar time each night.
- Wake up at a similar time each morning.
- Avoid napping during the day.
1. Mah C, Mah K, Dement W, Kezirian E. The effects of sleep extension on the athletic performance of collegiate basketball players. Sleep [serial on the Internet]. (2011, July 1), [cited September 12, 2018]; 34(7): 942-950.