Tennis World and COVID-19
Keeping our community safe during the COVID-19 Crisis.
Update: Friday 27 March, 2020.
It is with sadness we announce the temporarily closure of Tennis World facilities in Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and Canberra, in line with the current government regulations.
This means all remaining Coaching, Cardio Tennis, Social Leagues and Court Hire will be unavailable. Venues with Book-A-Court installed, will remain open strictly within the COVID-19 Community Tennis Guidelines for Continued Play.
Although this is disappointing, I’m sure you understand how important it is that we do everything we can to help reduce the spreading of this virus, and ‘flatten the curve’. These are difficult times for everyone, and at the moment we don’t have enough information to confirm when we will return to business as usual.
All current memberships will be suspended during this time, free of charge. All direct debits will halt and coaching and lessons will roll over, so when we are able to resume normal operations, your spots will be held and we can get back to doing what we love.
Please stay subscribed to this list so we can keep you updated when new information is available, along with some tips on how to keep fit, and keep playing, in whatever capacity that looks like.
Update: Wednesday 25 March, 2020.
DUE TO THE COVID-19 CRISIS, ALL TERM 1, 2020 HOLIDAY CAMPS AT TENNIS WORLD HAVE BEEN CANCELLED. WE APOLOGISE FOR THE INCONVENIENCE. WE WILL HOPEFULLY BE BACK FOR TERM 2 SCHOOL HOLIDAYS.
Update: Tuesday 24 March, 2020.
This is a rapidly evolving issue, please refer to the information below for the latest advice and guidance on dealing with COVID-19.
The Federal Government announcement from Sunday 22 March mandates the following facilities have been restricted from opening from midday local time 23 March 2020:
- Pubs, registered and licensed clubs (excluding bottle shops attached to these venues) and hotels (excluding accommodation).
- Gyms and indoor sporting venues.
- Cinemas, entertainment venues, casinos, and night clubs.
- Restaurants and cafes will be restricted to takeaway and/or home delivery.
- Religious gatherings, places of worship or funerals (in enclosed spaces and other than very small groups and where the 1 person per 4 square metre rule applies).
We all know tennis is a unique sport with many benefits – the main one being health and well-being. The very nature of our game ensures there is a vital role our sport can continue to play for the benefit of the community as we endure the COVID-19 pandemic.
The COVID-19 Community Tennis Guidelines for Continued Play provide details on how outdoor courts can remain open to allow people remain to active, subject to strict social distancing and hygiene practices being implemented.
The following detail is important and applicable to all Tennis World members, staff & general public across all venues:
- All Tennis World sites with a dedicated reception will remain open to coordinate outdoor tennis activity only. For those centres that include a cafe, this will be open with a limited offering and strictly takeaway only.
- All Tennis World gyms are closed.
- Facilities including bathrooms will have limited access for toilets only – all showers, lockers and general space will be out of use until further notice.
- Social Play & Leagues – these outdoor tennis activities will continue with all existing safety guidelines in place including no switching of ends between games.
- Cardio Tennis will continue with a recommendation of four players on court at one time.
- Coaching lessons will continue with a recommendation of four students per session.
All guidelines above subject to change at any time. All Tennis World, State & Federal Government safety guidelines must be complied with at all times.
An update to the Community Tennis Guidelines for continued play has been made. Find the new guidelines below:
Update: Friday 20 March, 2020.
In light of the ever-evolving Coronavirus (COVID-19) crisis, we have been closely monitoring this in real-time based on the advice of the World Health Organisation and Australia’s Chief Medical Officer and reviewing our approach regularly to ensure we are inline with Tennis Australia recommendations.
While Tennis Australia has postponed all Australian Ranking Tournaments, State Competitions and events, everyday Tennis World operations are still running as normal for all localised programs.
We do not want to cause unnecessary worry but we are taking this crisis seriously. As such we would like to share with you some extra measures we are taking to ensure our community and the wider Australian community stay safe.
- are providing warm water and soap and hand sanitiser at all venues.
- are taking further precautions with cleaning to ensure all surfaces and spaces are regularly cleaned.
- has installed posters and signage to remind everyone to wash their hands.
- is discouraging handshakes, high fives and fist bumps (tap racquets instead!).
- is implementing social distancing precautions. A safe distance of 1.5 metres between people is required.
- will not be lending hire or demo racquets until further notice.
- will regularly update customers through Facebook and SMS as the situation develops.
For our customer peace of mind, please know:
- If you or your child feel sick, please remain home. We do not want our customers to feel obligated to attend a booking if they are feeling unwell so until further notice, customers can cancel or postpone their lessons, program bookings and court bookings in the 24 hours leading up to their booking. We will not charge you for this cancellation rather will credit you for the session/booking missed or prioritise your place for your return to our programs.
- We are offering the same flexibility to our coaching and customer service team, so on the same token, please forgive the inconvenience if you receive communication that your lesson or booking has been cancelled at short notice. This will only be in the instance that one of our team members health is at risk AND we cannot find a replacement coach.
- Finally, as a way to ensure our customers health and safety and promote social distancing practices, we feel an obligation to close our gyms. This is already effective. We do apologise for the inconvenience. Consider booking a court instead.
Some resources for our customers can be found below
- Tennis World COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions
- Community Tennis Guidelines (update)
- Government Guidelines
It goes without saying this is a tricky time for everyone. We remain committed to doing everything we can to put the health and safety of our tennis community first. If you have any questions which have not been answer by the resources provided, please reach out to our Customer Experience Teams at your local Tennis World.